Tuesday, October 9, 2007

U of C Professors Say CNRL Won't Stop Spending

The (unpublished) Back Story:

Dr. Kenneth McKenzie was one of the six panelists on the Royalty Review and he is the head of the University of Calgary Economics Department. He is my boss.

I'd like to keep my position so I will say what is required to obtain it. I'm not stupid; I'm an economist and can see what is coming. With the economic walloping that Alberta is going to take I'm not gonna rock the boat, I'm gonna make sure the boss man is happy.

The Published Story:

Experts blast oil company's dire scenario

By BILL KAUFMANN, SUN MEDIA

Another Calgary-based petroleum producer is warning of economic meltdown if energy royalties are hiked, predicting its cutbacks would eliminate nearly 20,000 jobs in Alberta.

But a University of Calgary economics professor, backed by at least nine other professors at the school, said Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. (CNRL) and other industry players are greatly exaggerating the impact of a 20% boost in royalties.

Dr. Curtis Eaton said while there could be some job losses should the royalty review panel’s recommendations be adopted, Alberta’s energy resources remain too lucrative for their development to be halted.

“It’s not going to be gloom and doom,” said Eaton.

No comments: